Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I know....I know.....

I haven't been posting more than once a day. It isn't because I don't want to be posting more, I would love to post every other hour with the advances Tucker is making.....but that just isn't it right now. We are making slow progress, two steps forward to step back again. I have a very hard time blogging about the ups and downs each day so I have been posting once a day with the "generic" version. Tucker rested all day yesterday, nothing changing other than we did get a pic line in, which is a more permanent iv in his arm. They tried yesterday for a regular iv but there are no spots they could get, his veins are just shot. I think they will be pulling the central line that is in his clavicle, it has been in way too long and the longer it is there the more apt for infection.

OK, I started this post over an hour ago.....and with rounds this is where we are at. Tucker has an infection in his lungs, unknown if it is at the top of the lungs where the vent tube sits or if it is deep in the lungs. The culture came back with something so they are treating it. This might be the reason we have had a hard time this weekend with oxygen and the vent settings. It would explain a lot..since the heart looks fine on Echo. We just couldn't figure it out. Although I had no idea they were even thinking infection, but they were because they did the test on the junk from the tube over a day ago. He has ran small fevers off and on all weekend, his secretions have been a lot more and his chest xray is cloudy even with the negative fluid balance that we have had. (out more than in is what negative fluid balance is)

So, today we pray for antibiotics, strong and fast acting, that the infection doesn't get worse.


Cammie Heflin said...

Praying the antibiotics work quickly!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, know what you are going through. We had an infection, cloudy lungs, the works the last time we were in Boston. Here's to the strongest antibiotics they have to knock that infection to the curb!

We have surgery on Thursday, still waiting to hear what the plan is from Dr. del Nido. Cath/MRI today, discharge tomorrow and back on Thursday. I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

More to come!
Bridget Robertson