Thursday, May 18, 2006

05/18/06 Update

Tuck was in a lot of pain last night. I got to hold him finally and he loved that. We rocked and sang songs. They are holding his pain medicine because his blood gases, which shows the breakdown of his blood, is still high in CO 2 and pain medicine restricts his breathing. We need him to breath deep and work his lungs to get rid of it. They tell me that Kido's that have this procedure have headaches afterwards. They are giving him ibuprofen for that and some sedative to help him sleep, but again no pain medicine. His little chest is leaking a lot of blood. He has had 3 transfusions. We were prepared for some of the blood, with scar tissue comes more bleeding, but not exactly 3 transfusions. He is still on oxygen. He always seems to rely on it after they take that initial step and put him on it. He did get to start his feeds. He got sick a little yesterday on me. He has so much saliva and seems to hold it in his mouth instead of swallowing it-I am sure his little throat is so soar. He had 4 iv's put in. He had a foot that didn't have one, but every other thing did. They took out the main iv that went straight to the heart yesterday- I am thankful about that. Those are the lines that usually cause infection on Tuck. They are going to change his dressings today and hopefully he will feel a little better, maybe that headache will be gone. They have talked about kicking him to the floor. He might come home with some drain tubes.
Man it seems they are going WAY too fast. They assure me though that he is doing great and is sailing through. I just hate that there isn't anything I can do while he is crying in the bed, looking up at me as if to say-"what the heck mom, PICK ME UP."

No comments: